Tuesday, March 22, 2011

BELONGING

SUSIE MABEL GRANT GLIDDEN
BORN MARCH 21, 1878 DIED MARCH 31, 1951
This photo of my maternal grandmother, Susie Mabel Grant Glidden, the grandmother for whom I was named, was taken to celebrate her 25th wedding anniversary.

She married at eighteen and gave birth to ten children, eight of whom lived.

The first time I saw this picture, I, too, had just celebrated my 25th wedding anniversary. Having also married at eighteen, I was very close in age to Grammie as I was seeing her now, not as I remembered her shortly before she passed away when I was eleven. I was stunned at the resemblance between her and me. I had always known I was born into the family, was named for her, my mother, and a great-aunt; however, this was the first time I ever felt the true belonging that reached into my soul.

Years have passed since that unforgettable experience, but as I age I continue to seek signs of belonging when I look in the mirror. I have aged more gently than Grammie did. I have had a far easier life. But, Grammie, I wish I could tell you that no March 21st ever passes without my thinking about you. And I wish you could know the great-granddaughter and great-great-granddaughter, each of whom have been named after you as well. They know about you.

(C) Marilyn Sue (Libby) Moore 3-22-2011

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing. You know I treasure things like this!

    www.field-days.com

    ReplyDelete